This article was originally posted on Team Tutorials, here is the original article.
This is a rather simple way to recover a key for a Windows installation that has gone bad. Especially useful if you need to re-install it but don’t have the key at all too!
- Open up regedit first of all.
- Get to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\
- View the key DigitalProductId
- Write (copy won’t work) bytes 34 through 42 down
- To decode it, go to Dagon Decrypter.
Viola! You have the XP key ready for use again.